Hemp seeds have many great benefits. They are a real powerhouse of nutrients because they contain all the essential fatty acids in an ideal ratio. This means that unlike many other foods we consume nowadays, they contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. For a long time, I was unaware of the important role omega-3 plays in our health. Among other things, it helps to alleviate the symptoms of inflammation in our body, to prevent heart disease and to promote hormone balance. Yes, those small hemp seeds have the potential to do all of this! And they even contain all the essential amino acids, making it a great protein source.
Another reason why I’m a fan of hemp seeds is the mild-sweet-nutty taste, which can be a wonderful component in many recipes. Even people with a nut allergy can benefit from it.
A particularly great and simple recipe is the hemp seed carrot pesto, which can be enjoyed as a pasta sauce, appetizer dip or spread. Of course, it can also be served with asparagus, fried potatoes and many other dishes. Have fun with this fresh, delicious, creamy and nutritious spring recipe!
HEMP SEED AND CARROT PESTO
– 200 g carrots
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (should also work with dried thyme)
– 40 g hemp seeds
– 40 ml olive oil
– lemon juice
– lemon peel
1. Optionally you can peel the carrots. Cut them into small pieces.
2. Fry the carrots and garlic cloves in 20 ml olive oil in a frying pan.
3. Put this in a tall vessel. Add the thyme, the hemp seeds, another 20 ml of olive oil, 80 ml of water, a bit of lemon juice, a little lemon zest and 1 tsp of salt.
4. Blend it altogether until you get a creamy, but not perfectly homogeneous mass. Add more lemon juice and salt, if desired, and let the pesto cool.
Did you try the recipe? How did you serve the pesto?